AltScene
EliteSingles.com

Travel

Travel

peripatetic Created Sep 29, 2024 23:49
13 Comments

I just got back from Hawaii, Portland Oregon, Seattle Washington & British columbia Canada. It was only what I call a sample visit. Since it's hard to get a complete feel for a place, unless you stay longer. I was gone roughly 3 weeks. So far Seattle was my favourite out of the trip, the pike market & museum of pop culture, which had an awesome sci fi, fantasy exhibit, & unfortunatly I missed the horror exhibit, open during Halloween month of course. Damn!

I've travelled to many other places in the past.

So please tell me if you've travelled overseas & what were your favourite places & why?? What kind of traveller are you? Example do you chase the sun, winter? Do you go for nature? Music? Art? Old cities, history? Etc do you respect the indigenous peoples of each place you visit, by learning about there culture? Tell me travel stuff & junk. Lol

This topic has 13 comments

Wolfboy20

Sep 30, 2024 00:17

I went to Ukraine to serve in the foreign legion lol, they had some beautiful fields and cities. And I had some amazing pasta dishes when I could.

Daddy Gru

Sep 30, 2024 03:07

Wait, seriously? That sounds really interesting if true.

I’ve been to Seattle, really enjoyed it. One of the few places you can experience nautical culture and alpine culture side by side that I’ve seen. I’ve been to Europe twice now, once to Rome and Vienna for my honeymoon and another time for a grad school trip to Normandy. If I ever win the lottery I’d love to flee to Europe before the US becomes a total fücking zombie wasteland.

Winterfrosst793

Sep 30, 2024 08:08

I have been to Mexico, Canada, England, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway. Norway was my favorite place hands down, not just because i was born there, but its just the most amazingly beautiful place on the planet. The mountains and fjords are breathtaking, and in every city i visited, at least one local opened their home to me and saved me thousands of krones paying for dorm rooms at their hostels. Also, the Elm Street Rock Cafe in Oslo was a superb place to hang out and drink and i met a few black metal artists there. Sailing across the Oslo fjord was awesome as was the Viking Ships Museum. Just an amazing experience all around!

Wolfboy20

Sep 30, 2024 14:39

Yeah I do not recommend it at all. Half the time I was running for cover the other half was hiding in a basement or tunnel 🤣

peripatetic

Oct 2, 2024 01:14

Wolfboy sounds interesting, why do you think they do personality testing? Curious. I'm sure Ukraine is beautiful despite everything happening there. I had pasta in Italy, interestingly they keep the ingredients simple, but the ingredients are premium. 🙂 yum!

peripatetic

Oct 2, 2024 01:16

* what I mean is it mbti/ jung testing? or like a psych evaluation type thing?

peripatetic

Oct 2, 2024 01:24

Interesting observation with the
nautical culture and alpine side by side. I did walk outside the city, what appeared to be a university trendy type town & kept walking till I hit beautiful house, a lake, pines are gorgeous too. 🙂
how was Vienna? Normandy? I'd like to move to Europe for at least a year. 🙂

Winterfrost I'll respond properly soon, you been a lot of places. 🙂

peripatetic

Oct 2, 2024 01:25

That was for Grumman ^^

Daddy Gru

Oct 2, 2024 03:10

Rome was very busy, sort of chaotic, obviously extremely old. The age of everything was fascinating since we’re not exposed to anything from antiquity much in America. Vienna was more my speed. I could speak the language, they have an underrated beer scene, their public transportation network was excellent and very efficient, and the history was much nearer to the time I’m familiar with. I could definitely see myself living there if the stars ever aligned.

Normandy was amazing in other ways. As a military historian, it was truly surreal walking the beaches and battlefields of D-Day and the Normandy campaign. It was the same feeling as meeting a celebrity you’ve only ever seen on tv. The sudden realization that they are a thing that actually exists in the world is what it felt like to walk Omaha Beach or Pointe du Hoc. I’ve only ever read about those places or seen them represented in movies or documentaries. Being there in person was almost otherworldly. I guess the same could be said of a lot of famous places in Europe, but it was all the stranger because hundreds of people had died in many of the places we visited in Normandy.

Wolfboy20

Oct 2, 2024 15:36

I didn't really have any sort of testing. I went when the war first started so they were just desperate for man power at the time,I don't think they started screening people until recently because I applied online then was told to travel to a certain spot and received some basic training and was sent to the front lines.

DÜmR

Oct 3, 2024 21:05

Cool that you made if to Pikes Market. Unfortunately for me, Seattle was the city that I first found out how hard it can be to get a feel for a place in a short amount of time, but Pikes Market is what I always recommend to people there, so it's cool you made it there. Also, there's a good cheese shop/restaurant across from it, or there was when I was there.

I love the desert, so Vegas, Palm Springs, Utah is gorgeous to drive through, especially at night. I like Colorado too.

Daddy Gru

Oct 3, 2024 21:30

Colorado is the shït. Come grab some beers and chill with me, family 🍻

peripatetic

Oct 5, 2024 02:37

@Dumr & @Gru. An ex I was with for 9yrs, moved to Colorado from 4yrs to 6, his dad took a job with some science institute. He has fond memories skiing the slopes & eating jolly rancher candy. Lol I'm an intimidiate snow boarder, so Colorado might be worth a visit, heard it's beautiful, nature wise.

I've been to Italy Gru, my first trip oversea when I was 18yrs. I chose Italy over going to my end of year formal (prom) did you put your coins in the trevi fountain? Yes the age & history of the buildings surpass anything in Oz too. It leaves you in awe! You speak German? Multi- lingual I'm envious. Hehe Gru, no stars, make it happen, even for a couple of years. Once you & wife settled down with bub. 🙂 life's short.

Normandy sounds surreal, your history books came alive.

@wolfboy, right so they needed people quick smart, by the sounds of it.

@ Dumr pike market was great, I loved the little gothy stores, the toy & figurine stores, the art galleries on the lower level, I spike to a couple of the artists & bought some artwork to bring back. 🙂 I'm sure the desert is beautiful, but heat is yucky for me.

@ winterfrost. I'd love to live in northern Europe for at least a year. In particular Norway or Germany. Hanging with the black metal peoples would of been fun. Hehe, do you speak Norwegian? So beautiful & trusting people opened there home to you. 🙂 warms my heart. Could you move there? Can you get dual citizenship or something?

Leave comment...

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in or register.